Every Game Needs a Logo
This is a post by our (one and only) trainee Michael. He’s been the creator of the Tridek logo and is going to tell you about the design process and show you the steps he took to arrive at the current logo. We hope you enjoy this blog post as much as we enjoy working with him.
Hey guys, time for another blog post! My name is Michael and I’m the trainee of the Bit Barons. I’m going to talk about the Tridek’s (temporary) logo. A few weeks ago I began to think about several logo compositions. Without concrete ideas, I decided to do a little visual brainstorming. After this phase I got a feeling for the letters and saw both what looked good and what did not. These were my ideas:
We all together took a look at the different variations and everybody gave feedback on the fonts they liked, what were their no-gos and what could still be improved. In addition, the team spoke about the overall art style and gameplay mechanics and how the logo could reflect these aspects. The Feedback served as a foundation for new, fresh ideas and so I started over a second time with a more directed brainstorming - agreeing to the many suggestions given to me by the team. I tried to implement the three colours of Tridek’s crystals - red, green and blue - which are at the heart of the game. My intention was to go for a techie sci-fi-style but also to be inspired by a more natural design, thus combining nature and technology. Not easy at all! Here’s my second set of scribbles:
Again we looked at the variations and each voiced our opinions. Now I had a quite good image of how to put my ideas and what the team preferred together into one vision. I began to make one single detailed logo and refined it over and over again. With every step it came closer to a usable result. This was one of the in-between steps. As you can see the tribal-like tendrils on the left appear like a foreign body and simply didn’t match. Moreover, the confusing texture of “DEK” didn’t turn out to be the best solution, too. And so the refining went on.
Two days (and about 10 versions) later, the tribal-tendrils were gone and made space for a nice looking diamond, from which the remaining tendrils extrude. The texture got a more decent style and the subtitle finally got readable. I admit, it’s not the final logo yet (don’t look at the leaves :-) ). But it will serve as the foundation for the final version which is in production right now. Here’s what we’re currently working with:
That’s the end of this blog post. I hope you enjoyed this chapter- the next post is going to come soon(tm).